Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Three Rock Rovers Hockey Club app


Mens 3rds - Match centre

Three Rock Rovers MIII's
Sun 30 Nov 13:00 - Cup Full time

TRR M3's lose 1-0 to Chiefs a penalty flick the difference


A tough opening draw against Rathgar

A tough opening draw against Rathgar, our first match of the season was against the same team ending in a 0-0 draw, both teams were unable to break each others defence.

On the back pitch, we were due to be on the showcase pitch which had overun due to the 'celebrities' (senior Irish ladies players in a training session, signing autographs, selfie's etc). The appointed umpires were keen to get going, yet again we were to play on Scotty W's favoured surface...

Must be a record for a M3's cup match for a full squad, well done Stephen, no mean feat. Mentioned to the author several times was how many Chiefs 1st XI were playing (they had not played for 4 weeks and were itching for a runaround), with a waft of aroma d'alcohol emanating from Chiefs, should their 1st XI players make little or any difference to how we play/start a match?

A tight first half saw both teams defend from the 25, hopeful passes smashed across our D, their left and right wing penetrating but no further than the baseline/d, TRR defense holding out with GK saving well from a close range deflection. As the half progressed TRR worked their way into contention, Ben, Mac, Findo, Ritchie, Stu, Rig, and the forwards all working well. At the half time whistle a hard fought 0-0.

We were in a cup match, more than holding our own against a 'strong' Chiefs side, more good input from Findo at the half, Ed mentioned about shooting on the oppo's left side as he was wearing an old glove and not the large padded foam used today.

We passed the ball well, movement off the ball, front marked, created several goal scoring chances, one of which saw a reactionary save from 'Jack' clearing to safety. With Chiefs hitting us on the counter, a good penetrating move saw them work the ball from stick to stick finding an unmarked player who forced wide by the oncoming GK fired a shot hitting a defenders shin pads on the line. First of two Penalty Flicks conceeded.

It took an age for Rathgar to get the ball, keeper went left Chiefs scored down the middle left, 0-1. Several moments later the same penetrating move saw Chief player on a 1-1 with our custodian, as he advanced on the slippery pitch the forward dived over his pads leaving him with more aroma d'alcohol, despite protests, umpire awarded another flick. This time GK went the right way and the ball went wide of the post - justice restored.

From there on in with about 15 minutes to go it was all TRR, forcing their defence and 'Jack' into several good saves and clearances off the line, one of which a well saved drag flick heading to bottom right, 'Jack' stick saving the ball to safety (should have gone the other side as per comment at half time?!). Rathgar did their best to wind down the clock, final score 0-1.

We gave them a real test, came really close, on any other day this loss would be reversed, oh perhaps next Saturday as we play Chiefs again in the league at home...

BIG effort for training on Wednesday...

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsor

Club sponsors